No Clutch

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: No Clutch

Post by Airbear »

You dodged a bullet there, Kelly. It's advisable to replace the 'pin' with a bolt and Nylok nut.

Pity about the persistent 'no clutch' situation. Better get that gearbox out for a look-see.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Airbear,
Know where to get that nut and bolt from?
I did order the upgraded pin and keepers from MAX BMW yesterday but your solution sounds MUCH better.

Highest Regards
Kelly
melville

Post by melville »

I went to the hardware store. What you want is a bolt with an unthreaded section long enough to span the ears and as close to 8mm as possible. I used two nuts locked together so the bolt could float a little and the cast in ears weren't pinched. To keep things from rattling around I used a couple wave washers.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Thanks, will do that
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

You might want to put the pin in from the top so the pin won't fall out if the keeper goes missing again.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

George Ryals wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm You might want to put the pin in from the top so the pin won't fall out if the keeper goes missing again.
My own approach has been to use a long enough metric sized bolt instead of the pin. With a nylock nut holding the bolt(pin) in place, a person won't have to worry about the previous pin coming out and breaking the cast aluminum ears on the transmission back cover.

Ken