Idiot v. Motorbikes, Rounds 3, 4, and 5

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Idiot v. Motorbikes, Rounds 3, 4, and 5

Post by melville »

So you've seen the Hate My Neighbor thread. The bikes are now in my possession. You've probably also seen Ernst and Eigo (yes, Eigo still not done!), now it's time to dick with three more Airheads:

From left to right, they are:

5. 1975 R75/6, not very complete. Just a month younger than Ernst, 600ish serial numbers difference.

4. 1979 R100RS, almost complete. Possibly a few parts missing in the intake tract.

3. 1979 R100/7, very complete.

Both R100s have interesting period mods. They both have San Jose BMW upper triple clamps, fork braces, and shocks. The RS has a reinforced swingarm. The /7 has air caps on the fork.

The /7 has some mods to the motor. Lockhart cooler and twin plugging are the obvious ones. There were some notes regarding the heads found under the seat along with the old registrations. It looks like they were modded at 28,000 miles to deal with a light pinging complaint. They may have been ported and polished.

I expect I'll be starting with the /7 this winter, after Ernst gets his heads back on. I'm calling the /7 Edgar.

Here he is:

When I first saw the tiny pix on my phone, I thought 'Windjammer' but I don't think that's the case. Here are a couple views from inside:

That little knob is a headlight angle adjuster.

It also has a gaiter flap and there's enough room inside that the turn signal posts clear. Most fairings need them removed or bent out of the way.

Here's the cooler:

Anyway, thanks for checking this out. I expect things to move at my usual glacial pace. I hope to be touching wrenches to Edgar soon after the new year.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Idiot v. Motorbikes, Rounds 3, 4, and 5

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

The "windjammer" is a Luftmeister, some say is a stolen design. I've been behind both, but it's been a long time since I was behind a Windjammer...I like the Lutfy currently on my /7. I think the "flap" in the fairing opening was called a Dryper...I've got one of those around somewhere.

Kurt in S.A.
melville

Post by melville »

Of course! A Lufty! That would go with all the SJ BMW mods.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

How does that Lockhart cooler plumb into the oil system? Any chance of pics???

Rob
ImageImageImage
melville

Post by melville »

Rob Frankham wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:41 am How does that Lockhart cooler plumb into the oil system? Any chance of pics???

Rob
No pix for a while, until I visit remote storage again. It looks like it's plumbed through a modified oil filter cover and through an oilstat.

There's a standard oil filter cover rattling around in the toolbox and I may just install that when I start work on the bike. The cooler plumbing leaves a bit to be desired with lots of 90 deg brass barbed fittings.
melville

Post by melville »

Rob Frankham wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:41 am How does that Lockhart cooler plumb into the oil system? Any chance of pics???

Rob
Hey Rob! I stopped by storage today and snapped these:

I don't know if the filter cover is a BMW part or not. But as you see, there's a lot of plumbing parts there. I think I'll run it without cooler for my evaluations if the extra filter cover is the correct item.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

I'm pretty sure that's not a BMW part. It's certainly not the thermostatic head fitted to various models from around '77 and it equally isn't the non-thermostatic adaptor fitted to the 'GS models from '88 on. You need to look at what's inside the cover before you make any decisions. If the engine has the long inner tube that goes with the stock oil filter, you'll need to replace it with the shorter version to fit a standard 'non-cooler' cover.

Rob
ImageImageImage
melville

Post by melville »

Finally getting a start on this one! I've moved house and now have all my BMWs under one roof!

I'm taking Ernst to Montana again this summer, and wanting to avoid this situation again:

I've got some new tires getting mounted this week. But the tires on Ernst have plenty of life left in them, so I'm going to move them to Edgar. Edgar has some old Contis right now:

I believe the first digit is the last digit of the year. The number that would go before it would be an '8' ! The last registration on the bke expired in 1988. In my hands, these tires feel about as hard as a bowling ball.

Some adventures in wheel removal:

Raising it a bit so the front tire clears the fender:

Crustiness on the axles, cleaned up so they pass through the clamps:

Front axle done off the bike with a wire brush in my drill motor. Rear axle done on the bike, shoeshine style with emery cloth.

Front wheel off and bike tilted so the rear wheel will clear the extended (mudflap) fender:

Rear wheel off!

Splines look great! I don't know if this one has the cush drive in the shaft or not:

And the moment this became a project for real:

Nothing like drawing the first blood to bond with a new bike.

So the plan is to powdercoat the wheels and service/replace the bearings before mounting the gently used Michelins. Then rebuild the MC and caliper. Following that, rebuild the carbs, make it run, and see what we have here. Nothing happens too quickly chez melville. I would describe my pace as 'burning the candle at neither end.' Thanks for reading!
Rob

Post by Rob »

All that rust! You are a glutton!
Rob V
spo123

Post by spo123 »

Nice!
After all your adventures with Ernst, you have some more work to do!
I will say THANKS for any future postings on these.

Ride Fast and Safe!