BMW Roundels

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

BMW Roundels

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

I'm about to put a new set of clothes on my beloved '77 R100S. When I bought it (used) it had a new custom paint job, but over the years some problems have developed. So it time to put a new set of bodywork on it, tank, fenders, fairing, side covers and two seat nacelles (double seat and 3/4 seat). As I mentioned in a previous post I have a painted up set of bodywork, painted for me by Justin Bowser ready to go. It's not an exact match to the original smoked red, but I don't need for it to be original. I'm not going to be putting my S bike into a concours showing. Basically I want a prettier bike to ride.

Which leads me to a question. One of the things I need to do is to get a set of roundels for the tank. I seem to remember that a certain BMW car wears roundels of the same size and quality. If you know of what I'm talking about perhaps somebody here can tell me what to go get (i.e. a model number for the BMW auto that uses the same size stick on roundel). I'm thinking of going to a BMW car dealership for them. There is a BMW cycle dealership here in Boise and I could order them there. (Practically everything airhead has to be ordered in--but they do get here in a week. Plus I need a roundel or two for the refrigerator in my den.

Interestingly the BMW shop here in Boise is called Big Twin BMW, which seems to be a real odd name for a BMW dealership. The term 'Big Twin' is so Harley-esque that's what immediately comes to mind.

Ken

Re: BMW Roundels

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Snowbum has it all!! Fun read!!

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/roundel.htm

He has these entries that deal with the car emblems:
16-11-1-232-908....then 16-11-2-325-179; 70 mm stick-on types. They've been replaced in some literature by 46-63-7-686-746, see below. Some catalogs show the -179 as a current product. Used on K tanks, many other places, all BMW bikes. The -179 is a good number. There is a car part number, 36-13-6-758-569 that looks at first glance to be identical, but it is actually nicer, with the BMW and the round lines being slightly raised. These used to cost about $8, and the car part is the one to get. ...in my opinion.
and:
36-13-6-758-569 Often used to replace the above -746, as it is a bit better looking. Car Division part. 70mm
I'd suggest popping a few of these part numbers into RealOEM and see what you find. Also check his page...go to the bottom of the site.

Kurt in S.A.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Can't help with the roundel problem Ken, but I feel that you owe it to the BMW community to sneak around to that BMW dealership in the dead of night with ladder, paint and brush to cross out the "Twin" and replace it with "Jugs" on the signage.

Photographic evidence would be required, of course. What's in it for you? Well, the images or video could 'go bacterial' on the 'net and you would almost certainly achieve True Legend Status.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ken in Oklahoma

Kurt in S.A. wrote:Snowbum has it all!! Fun read!! . . .
Wow, that WAS a fun read. He has it all--and more.

I had almost forgotten the creative ways that Snowbum has of 'emphasizing'.

Years ago a fellow I know, who ran a repair shop (all makes and models) gave me a couple wonderful emblems. I believe they were about /2 vintage. They had holes for screws and were cloisonne. I 'screwed' the badges onto a couple motorcycling jackets. I can only imagine what such a badge would cost nowadays. Well, I could probably look them up and find some prices, but I wasn't going to be needing any more for my jackets since they are 'transferrable'.

Ken

Airbear wrote:Can't help with the roundel problem Ken, but I feel that you owe it to the BMW community to sneak around to that BMW dealership in the dead of night with ladder, paint and brush to cross out the "Twin" and replace it with "Jugs" on the signage.

Photographic evidence would be required, of course. What's in it for you? Well, the images or video could 'go bacterial' on the 'net and you would almost certainly achieve True Legend Status.
Hmm, I thought I had already achieved True Legend Status. Sigh! I guess I've got some work to do, that is, if I really really crave True Legend Status. Besides, I already am a legend--in my own mind.

Ken, slightly humbled in Oklahoma Boise.

Post by Major Softie »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:Snowbum has it all!!

FUN READ!!

Kurt in S.A.
There, fixed it for you. :mrgreen:
MS - out
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Hmm, I thought I had already achieved True Legend Status. Sigh! I guess I've got some work to do, that is, if I really really crave True Legend Status. Besides, I already am a legend--in my own mind.

Ken, slightly humbled in Oklahoma Boise.
Well, yes, of course you are a True Legend here. A Legend in Your Own Trousers, in fact. That goes without saying. But if you were to acquire millions of followers on FaceThing ...
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Ken,
I have replaced the roundels twice on my 75 R90S, I got them my local BMW motorcycle shop. In fact, the first time I took her over there many years ago the service manager came to have a look at her, He had a Silver Smoke S. He took a look around at her and without saying anything just walked back inside. A couple of min he came back and handed me 2 of the large roundels and the small one that goes on the seat cowl. He kinda chuckled and said " An R90S Should NEVER have yellowed roundels on it, These Are On The House" So when they started to yellow again several years later I thought about what he said and replaced them again. That time I had to order them, but again got them at my local shop. I think the car ones are the same size but don't quote me on that. Please post some pics of the finished product.

Kelly
Ken in Oklahoma

Major Softie wrote:

FUN READ!!

Kurt in S.A.
Well, that tickled me, Major. If only the forum software would have allowed, say, to put a yellow background to the words, you would have gotten a loud guffaw and a hardee har har from me (and likely others as well).

Sigh! This software can limit one's comedic genius.(Probably one's wise ass genius too--if one were inclined that way)

Ken

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Major Softie wrote:

FUN READ!!

Kurt in S.A.
Well, that tickled me, Major. If only the forum software would have allowed, say, to put a yellow background to the words, you would have gotten a loud guffaw and a hardee har har from me (and likely others as well).

Sigh! This software can limit one's comedic genius.(Probably one's wise ass genius too--if one were inclined that way)

Ken
I did try to figure out how to highlight, but I gave up.
MS - out